Friday, September 15, 2023

Quilt Coat With Hand-Felled Seam Allowances

 

A newly completed quilt coat for myself. Several weeks ago, I happened upon a lovely estate sale and found two machine-quilted bedspreads and two matching pillow shams for an unbeatable price. I have been thinking about this type of project for a while, but was waiting for just the right machine-made quilt. Still pondering front closures. Might make another with slight modifications since this coat used less than one of the bedspreads.




Machine-sewed the shoulder, side, and sleeve seams at 3/4 inch, unpicked the quilting stitches within the seam allowances, trimmed the batting and beige inside fabric, then fell-stitched the seam allowances by hand. This hand-stitching time commitment was enormous, but I appreciate the touch it added to the original mass-produced item instead of just using my serger on those seams.

.
Added a hanging loop before sewing down the inside collar.



Pastel Patchwork Linen Hat

Wind-chill temperatures in Denver were in the negative double digits (F) the previous few days when I created this summer chapeau. The paste...