Saturday, September 18, 2021

Daypack Alterations

This small daypack has worked well on hikes for several years, but I always wished it had a large mesh pocket on the outside and a small zippered pouch on the waist belt. Recently I repurposed portions of a discarded men’s hiking shirt to add the features to my pack. I was not concerned with affecting a warranty by altering my pack, as it was purchased so many years ago as a sample. 


Hand-sewed the mesh pocket to the pack after machine-sewing the pleats and clean-finishing the four sides. There is no easy way to access the area with a sewing machine due to the trampoline frame.


New outer mesh pocket is just right to stash my raincoat and a trash bag for small trash found along hiking trails. 

The prototype zippered pouch attached with loops to the waist belt works well for lip balm, a small map, compass, and snacks.





 


Pastel Patchwork Linen Hat

Wind-chill temperatures in Denver were in the negative double digits (F) the previous few days when I created this summer chapeau. The paste...